My husband woke up when I did this morning.
He eventually went back to sleep. And he DID stay in the bedroom to watch TV and whatnot since he knows I cherish my alone-time in the morning. So he tried. He really did try. One can’t help when they’re awake. I understand this. But of course I was still all worried that he would ruin my entire morning routine and I’d have to rush through breakfast and rush through my yoga before he was done watching TV and I was secretly still annoyed.
I shouldn’t be married.
He needs a damn job.
Baked Berry French Toast
Servings: 6 (I made a 1/3 recipe)
One large baguette, sliced (I used Italian bread, 4 thick slices)
6 large eggs
3 cups whole milk (I used 1/2 cup buttermilk, scant 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1 T berry liqueur)
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup pecans
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
1. Lightly butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Place the bread slices evenly in one layer on the bottom of the dish.
3. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, nutmeg, vanilla, and 3/4 cups of the brown sugar.
4. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread, making sure to completely coat the surfaces.
5. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
7. Place the pecans on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown and toasted, about 8 minutes.
8. Remove the pecans from the oven, and add 1 teaspoon of butter and the salt to the pan. Using a spatula, toss to coat the pecans.
9. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
10. Sprinkle the pecans and blueberries/raspberries evenly over the bread.
11. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining 1/4-cup of brown sugar and 1/2 stick of butter until the butter is melted.
12. Drizzle the butter/brown sugar mixture over the bread.
13. Bake the bread mixture for 20 minutes, until liquid is bubbling and the bread is lightly golden.
*HOLY SHIT! I highly recommend my changes. But then again, this was also the first time that I legit let this sit overnight in the fridge. Normally I’ll let it sit, you know, an hour or whatever in the morning, however long I’m willing to wait. And I DON’T understand why at ALL, but letting it sit overnight DID make a difference! Or maybe it was just the creamy ingredients I substituted? I don’t know, but any way this was simply INDULGENT! I’ll try my damndest to eat healthy for the rest of the day. Hehe. Because I choose to. Not because I feel I HAVE to.
Tomato, Cheddar, and Havarti sandwich with Basil Mayo
I’ve been all about the vegetarian sandwiches for lunch lately it seems. I used an Ina Garten mayo recipe that I will go ahead and post because it was DELICIOUS!
Tomato Sandwich with Basil Mayonnaise
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- 10 to 15 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 slices country loaf bread
- 1 heirloom or Israeli tomato, sliced
bread slice. Place the remaining slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the tomato. Cut the sandwich in half and serve.
*I also added dried cranberries to this sandwich too! REALLY good! The sweet bursts were amazing!
Cheesy Stuffed Meatloaf
1/2 cup crushed saltines or bread crumbs if you don’t have the saltines around
2 pounds ground meat (beef, sausage, turkey or a mix)
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 small onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
cheese ( can kind, I use swiss cheese slices and some shredded colby & monterey jack)
some ketchup for the top
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray loaf pan with non stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together meats, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, onion, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Don’t over mix, just mix with your hands until everything is combined well. Split meat mixture in half. Place half in the pan. Layer with the cheese slices and the shredded cheese.Top with second half of the meat mixture, then go around the edges and make sure you seal the meatloaf to keep the cheese inside.Pour tomato sauce over the top and then bake for about 60 minutes or until meat is done. (I baked mine for 40 minutes as I had 1/4 the amount of meat asked for in the recipe)
*NICOLE! NICOLE! LOOK! I made something with lots of ketchup on top!!! I mixed ketchup and crushed tomatoes for the topping! I took this shot just or you! (Not thinking about the fact that I should have taken a cross-section pic so you could see all the cheese inside…bollocks…) Anyway, Nicole won’t be completely proud of me since she doesn’t eat meat hehe…but this could have gone one of 2 ways. I didn’t really make enough meat to fill the pan, I dunno, I wasn’t all that hungry. So I put a very thin layer of meat on the bottom, put a ton of cheese in the middle, and put another very thin layer of meat on top. It was either going to be REALLY bad or REALLY good. LUCKILY it not only worked, but worked DELICIOUSLY well! I used about 4.5 oz of sausage and 2 oz of beef. I also had to sort of drain the pan after baking because of the grease from the sausage. But it was SHOCKINGLY good!
It was a good day! I got some work done, cleaned the house a bit in preparation for our cousin visiting, got an amazing workout in, made amazing food…great day!!! I’m out of ice cream so I didn’t have any dessert, but once again, I wasn’t terribly hungry. So it didn’t matter to me as much as it usually would. Also, I had all that crazy sweetness for breakfast so I was good! It’s weird, they say that after eating sweets you crave more after a couple of hours, but for me, its IMMEDIATELY after I eat sweets and ACTUALLY, if I wait a couple of hours (and actually, if I can just curb my craving for a few MINUTES after eating sugar) I stop craving it entirely for the rest of the day. Weird? I don’t know. I’ll have to study the science behind it and get back to you!
Exercise: 1/2 hour of yoga, 1.5 hours at the gym