Today was our last day. I am leaving tomorrow to go stay with my brother. My husband took this opportunity to make it the best day ever for some reason. We spent the day running errands, grabbing clearance candy (taking me all the way to the Russel Stover’s outlet nonetheless where I got tons of chocolate and even some ice cream), and then coming home and putting on a playlist of music that only I would enjoy as most of it is NOT his taste. We had a really really good time. I don’t know why he did that. Maybe he didn’t want me to leave with bad memories. Maybe in a way he was trying to win me over again. I don’t know. But I do know that I will have many more good days like this eventually…just with someone else.
Bowl o cereal. Honey Bunches of Oats as usual.
Ok ok, so I had chocolate and ice cream for lunch. But this was sort of a, I dunno, “new start celebration” sort of day so I didn’t think much of it. We were out and about all day so I wouldn’t have been about to make myself anything anyway. Here’s a pic of the amazing ice cream I had:
Blue Bell’s Krazy Kookie Dough! The colors of course caught my eye immediately. And then I found out those multi-colored chunks were actually sugar cookie dough? It was absolutely impossible for me to say no. I was hooked. I got a 1 scoop on a sugar cone. Life was completely amazing.
I sorta messed up this recipe a little as it was supposed to be a no-cook sauce that I accidentally cooked anyway not realizing it was no-cook. Whoops. Next time I won’t cook it, but here’s the recipe:
Fettuccine with Mushrooms, Tarragon, and Goat-Cheese Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mushrooms, cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 pound mild goat cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 pound fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallion tops
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, and the dried tarragon, if using, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderately high and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown and no liquid remains in the pan, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, Parmesan, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Stir until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the fettuccine until just done, about 12 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the pasta-cooking water and drain. Whisk 1 cup of the pasta-cooking water into the goat-cheese mixture. Toss the pasta with the mushrooms, the goat-cheese sauce, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil, the fresh tarragon, if using, and the chives. If the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved pasta-cooking water. Serve with additional Parmesan.
*I used whole wheat linguini and accidentally cooked the sauce. That was the only difference. I could see how it would be better if I didn’t cook it though. So next time I won’t do that. Hehe. BUT it still was really good and totally hit the spot!!
Oddly enough, even though I did buy a TON of candy, I really didn’t eat that much of it. I didn’t feel overly full or sick and when I didn’t want any more, I stopped. I’ve been getting so much better at not binging. Its just…I realize I don’t have to. I can have these things any time I want. This was a treat day, and candy is ridiculously cheap right now! Might as well celebrate! Also, eating badly for 1 or 2 days isn’t going to kill me or make me fat. I am enjoying myself and enjoying life!!
Exercise: Eating lots of chocolate.