Happy Friday the 13th!!! One of my favorite days!
I didn’t have breakfast.
At work G shared his food with me. He totally insisted. I know his game, I know how this works as I’ve been in his shoes…he just wants to feel better about what he’s eating by pawning some of it off onto someone else. That way he doesn’t have to eat it all. I went ahead and took some anyway, because I don’t really care and it made him happy. But I know whats going on here…
Had a birthday/cupcake discussion with him before I left. Of course he’d planned to do nothing for his birthday. I am fixing that. We will do whatever he wants and I am making him cupcakes. I’ve already reserved Monday night to do so.
I walk home and have a sandwich and an apple for lunch.
In between working on a project I have a little cottage cheese as a snack.
Then after dinner I go just a LITTLE crazy…
Salsa, Black Bean and Beef Skillet Dinner
3/4 lb. ground beef or chuck ($1.27)
1/2 onion, chopped ($.15)
1 cup brown rice ($.40)
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups cooked black beans ($.40) (or 1 can, drained)
1 cup salsa – mild, medium or hot! ($.75)
1 can diced tomatoes ($.29)
1 tsp ground cumin ($.05)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
Salt and pepper
1 cup shredded cheese, any variety ($.50) Used a pinchful for Steve’s bowl, which is pictured above…the rest of us had the cheeseless variety…I’m using the $.99/bag Kraft cheese from a few weeks back
1 package frozen corn ($.80)
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Drain, rinse and set aside.
2. In the same saucepan, add the brown rice and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the browned beef, black beans, salsa, undrained diced tomatoes, ground cumin, garlic powder and salt and pepper, to taste. Once boiling together, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 50 minutes, or until rice has cooked through. (NOTE: If you wish to use instant brown rice or white rice, let cook for the time suggested on the packaging.)
3. Once the rice has cooked through, uncover and simmer to let any remaining liquid cook off.
4. Prepare frozen corn as directed on package.
5. Serve Salsa, Black Bean and Beef Skillet with a side of corn.
*I actually made this almost exactly like the recipe, except I used chunks of beef instead of ground beef and let them sear for a minute with the onions then braised the rest of the time in the liquid. WOW! I mean, I don’t know what it was exactly but this was truly wonderful! It was hearty and filling and flavourful!
After I ate this though things kinda went downhill. I still have no ice cream. So I basically devoured a whole ton of chocolate chips. I then decided to make some easy peanut butter cookies with the chocolate chips. I made 6 cookies. The contained 4 ingredients. 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 an egg and chocolate chips. Shit kids. They were infuckingcredible but probably THE WORST thing for me I could be eating right now.
No,I didn’t eat till I was sick. No, I didn’t make any more after I made these. I didn’t finish off the chocolate chips, the rest are in my freezer. No, I have no desire to finish them off. But yeah, I need to buy some ice cream because BAD THINGS HAPPEN when I do not have it.
Not feeling too great about myself. Not awful…but not great.
Exercise: 5 mile walk, 4.5 hours at retail job with most beautiful man on the planet