I made a bunch of money again in the past couple of days. I’m just fucking rolling in it.
So I decided to make dinner tonight. For two.
I was under the impression that I was getting a caramel apple today, so I didn’t eat breakfast. I probably wouldn’t have had lunch either had I not been stopped by G who called me from the parking lot of work JUST as I was walking by. I joined him at his car where he informed me he forgot the apples. Whoops! Well, that’s ok! I felt more justified in making us a nice dinner then! I let him know to come over after work anyway for dinner. I told him it was something simple and I wouldn’t have to slave in the kitchen over it. Just pop it in the oven and talk with him for an hour. Perfect plan!
Lunch was revived for the day with the news of less junk being consumed today:
PB&J. I think I may have also had some cottage cheese.
Dinner was prepared by the time G showed up. All I had to do was stick it in the oven and bam! We get a whole hour to just hang out and talk and be cute together (which is what we do best). I had to do a little adjusting to the recipe since it called for a roasting pan and I do not have one (why I don’t think of these things, I really don’t know). So I had to use my cast iron skillet instead. That required a pre-heating of the skillet itself for 45 minutes. I got all that taken care of before he arrived for the most part. I did really good.
Whole Tuscan Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots
Apparently, this is the point where he REALLY starts believing I can cook.
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds (3 large) Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed well and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, patted dry $
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1. Preheat oven to 425° with rack in bottom third. Line the bottom of a (15 1/2- x 12-inch) roasting pan with foil.
- 2. Combine first 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl and mash into a paste. Transfer 1 tablespoon garlic-rosemary mixture to another bowl and stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Add potatoes to roasting pan with oil mixture and toss well. Arrange in a slightly overlapping layer in pan.
- 3. Add paprika and remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to remaining garlic mixture. On a work surface with breast side of chicken up, tuck wings underneath. Loosen skin from top of breast and from thigh and leg. Work half of garlic mixture under skin, then rub remaining mixture over chicken. Place lemon inside cavity. Place chicken breast side up on top of potatoes.
- 4. Roast until a meat thermometer inserted into fleshy part of thigh registers 170°, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes before carving. Serve chicken with pan juices and potatoes alongside.
- Flavor Twists!
- Latin-style chicken: Leave the rosemary and paprika out of the rub and swap in 1 1/2 teaspoons each dried oregano and ground cumin. Use a quartered orange instead of the lemon in the cavity; serve with wedges of fresh lime.
- Asian-style: Skip the olive oil, rosemary, paprika, and lemon. Instead, combine 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger with garlic and 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Place a quartered orange in the cavity in place of the lemon. Melt together 1/3 cup apricot preserves with 2 tablespoons soy sauce and brush over chicken 20 minutes before roasting ends. Serve with brown rice in place of potatoes.
*The only changes I made were that I added butter to the skin on the outside before putting the rub on it. I added carrots, and of course the cast iron, which I pre-heated in the oven at 500 degrees for 45 minutes. This put an absolutely WONDERFUL and flavourful brown crust on all the surfaces touching the pan. WOW! This turned out REALLY fantastic! I mean seriously. G nearly proposed to me after eating this. You think I’m kidding. I am not.
He hung out with me till around 11 and then went home. I want to cry every time he leaves. I don’t know if he knows this. Maybe he’d quit leaving me and stay just one time if he knew.